Monday, March 19

March Madness - Memphis Tigers

Gonzo Tiger Blogging - Nevada Game



My stream of consciousness about Memphis Basketball. I grew up on Tiger games in The Coliseum, and now I'm one of many blogging about the Tigers in the Tournament at The Commercial Appeal's sports blog, TheMemphisEdge.com

1) I come into the game late because CBS is a bunch of Communists.

2) It's clear Fazekas has never been heads up with athletes like Dorsey and Co. In the first few minutes Dorsey has already altered a shot, Dozier blocked him, and he's had the ball stolen from him a few times.

3) Memphis is flying to the ball and fast breaking all over the place, however Nevada is keeping pace.

4) Fazekas with another turnover, next possession for Nevada = pressure induced turnover. They don't get the pleasure of playing teams like this every week in the WAC. I recall that Nevada's coach compared The Tigers to a NBA team. I love it!

5) Prediction: Nevada WILL NOT be able to hold this pace with Memphis. The Tigers will pull away big, late in the game.

6) Fazekas looks more like The Great White Hype in the early going.

7) The CBS "experts" hate Memphis (imagine that). They both picked Nevada as the upset of the day. That's about par for the course.

8) This Kemp guy for Nevada is pretty dang good. It makes me wonder it he's one of the NBA's great procreators, Shawn Kemp's offspring. The Seattle Supersonic's star spent a lot of time on the west coast, and he fathered roughly 15 children. I guess the odds are pretty good actually. I check out Marcelus Kemp's profile - "Hometown: Seattle, Washington" - I scare myself sometimes.

9) As the second half progresses, the game is still too close for comfort, but that just goes to show us why Nevada has come up on the short end of the score just four times this season. Neither team will blink.

10) If it's not CDR killing you, it's Jeremy Hunt or Dozier or Mr. Anderson. I love how all these Tigers play their roll so quietly until one of them is called to step up. Luckily, it seems somebody different steps up each possession.

11) I've never know a Memphis basketball team to play this way. There are constantly four guys on the court that can either beat you off the dribble or spot up for a three with confidence. Oh, and even if you miss, Dorsey is there with the offensive board. Amazing! It's one thing to play like this against Southern Methodist in the Forum, but it's a completely different thing to play like this on a national stage against Nevada.

12) On the other hand, Nevada is the poster child for two dimensional play. It's Kemp, Fazekas and a bunch of extras from central casting. (A post game look at the box score reveals the difference maker in this game: Bench Points - Memphis 31, Nevada 2)

13) Wow, you gotta love the free-throw free-for-all Memphis has got going on. I think Cal should become a motivational speaker when he retires. His shtick could be "Visualize Your Goals." I wish I could visualize a few beers right now, but I gotta work in the morning. Such is life.

14) Oh Snap! CDR is hurt bad. Twisted ankle. I hate that for him. I hope he can get back in the action soon...otherwise, we'll really find out how deep this team can be.

15) From the CDR injury on, Memphis rallies and shows Nevada a little about depth and bench scoring. What a stretch run. Like I said, Nevada could not hold the Tiger's pace. Final: 78-62. So much for "the experts" opinion.

Thoughts and Concerns:

- Please let Chris Douglas-Roberts be ok.

- 76.5% from the line?! Sure, why not.

- This Sweet 16 includes all three major basketball programs from the state of Tennessee...Sounds good to me.

- Memphis played like a 1 seed today. The Tigers fought through injury and a solid opponent, and still came out with a 16 point win.

- Yes, it's the luck of The Tigers that they have to play a regional against a team whose campus is less than 200 miles away, but A&M had to beat Louisville in Kentucky so we shouldn't complain too much...But we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment